All four gamers recap their first 500 points
Well that was an experience! One of the most fun models I’ve worked on ever. Loads of character, so many options even without any converting, brilliant detail everywhere…
I learned a lot about using contrast paints while working on my kraken-eater. Thinning with contrast medium was a real eye opener for me, probably the most important thing I learned.
The thing I’d do differently if I could (and will on my other gargants) is actually the flesh! I still want to do it with contrast, but I think thinned for a smoother initial layer. I think that’ll allow for dry brushing over the top to be more effective, and less remedial.
I was most happy with the cloth patches on the model, as it has given me a really clear picture of what to do with all my other gargants. The axe is probably a close second – both how the modelling and painting came out. Without it, the same sense of motion that he has just wouldn’t be there.
Now how the hell do you win a 500pt game with one model…
Bone – lots of bone. If I didn’t find a good, quick way of painting bone this entire journey would be incredibly difficult. However, I did so thank goodness for that! My biggest takeaway from the first section of this tale is that less is more for contrast paints. There’s no need to just slap it on as quickly as possible. Be a little patient and be ready to stop when feeling frustrated – excellent results will come.
This army will be the first one I’ve ever done that did not use a black undercoat. Black hides so many painting sins that you just can’t get away with when using a white (or in my case Wraithbone) undercoat, any gaps will show. So a slight change in my painting focus for this month has been being as neat as possible with application of paint.
Overall, I’m really happy with how they came out – a good table top wargaming standard that look cohesive as a force.
21 models are a solid start to an army and I feel like I have a core base of troops with a solid combat / support character (thank you Command traits!). How will they work on the table? I’ve no idea. My vague plan is to keep them fairly close together and march towards the enemy to hit them with swords. Not sure how well that will work out but I’m willing to try it.
Putting my best hoof forward…
A good start with 31 models in my opening 500 points. I got into a good rhythm with the bestigor models but I need to add in a bit of conversion / mutation to the next 20 (and then mix up the units) to stop them looking too cookie cutter. My paint scheme is quite time consuming but each individual step is relatively easy, which makes it manageable to crunch through one step at a time as long as you’re relentless with it.
The standout kit for me, surprisingly, has to be the little ungors. There’s an absolute tonne of character in those models and they were a pleasure to paint. This is fortunate as I have another … 50 to paint.
Biggest challenge of the first 500 was the endless spell. I’m dead chuffed with how it came out, but it was a major deviation from how I normally paint (no washes?!?).
Biggest takeaway was to tone it down a bit on the rust effects. I’m still new to using them and discovering that less is more. Getting the glint of the bestigor armour balanced with the rust is going to be a judgement to refine.
In terms of how the army would theoretically work, it’s not too complicated. The Ungor Raiders can scout onto an objective very early, with the bestigors moving quickly to seize other objectives – potentially ambushing one of the units behind the enemy. If they start near the shaman, a bestigor unit can move outrageously fast (11-16” before charges). However, they’re not durable, so that movement needs to be used carefully with a focus on objectives and strategic charges only. The shaman himself will be a toolbox caster with two dispels and access to the endless spell. There’s not much to sacrifice at 500pts to get much use out of the herdstone’s summoning mechanic, but its buff bubble is likely to be more relevant in smaller games.
I’ve fallen in love with these shiny little elves. I’m not too surprised as they fit my usual aesthetic of decorative armour and shiny bits, but these have truly been a joy to work on. The biggest takeaway for me was learning to appreciate and even enjoy using Contrast paints. That coat of Akhellian Green over silver armour never gets old (which is fortunate as every model in the army will feature it!) and one-coat elf flesh…who knew?!
The one thing I didn’t enjoy was building the kits. Newer GW kits offer highly dynamic poses at the cost of flexibility and have to go together in very specific ways. Sometimes this makes sub-assembly awkward, which can lead to painting challenges later, but overall I’m delighted how they came out.
The highlight is defintely the Alarith Stonemage but he is complimented very nicely by what was probably the easiest thing to paint – the Sanctum of Amyntok endless spell. The snowy bases are another highlight and I always look forward to making my mix of GW Snow and PVA glue. I’ve got the ratio down to a tee now to the point I’m like a baker who measures by feel.
On the tabletop, this will not be an optimised force. I just couldn’t work out how to make it one at only 500pts so I fit in what I could. I’ll leave tactics for next month, when at 750 I add two particular units that will compliment what I have so far…