Jim finishes painting his first 500 points of Lumineth
I was off to a good start with my Lumineth. A perfect colour scheme had practically fallen into my lap (see my previous post for details) and working on the first spearmen (or Vanari Auralan Wardens, seriously these names…) I found I was thoroughly enjoying the process.
I’ll say now that I am a Contrast skeptic. The idea of a one-coat base, wash & layer seems appealing but I find that, for the most part, it’s too unforgiving with gaps and splotches to actually save time (there’s always fixing to do) and the fluorescent look it gives when applied to a model without any further weathering looks awful. The colour scheme I chose used a fair amount of it, though, so it was time to come to terms with this oily, viscous stuff.
The effect of the Akhelian Green over steel armour was beautiful. That blue shine was a joy to see coming together. OK, maybe there’s something to this stuff. What’s next…the face. Oh oh…Faces are such a focal point to a model and yet probably the easiest thing to screw up. Was I really going to trust this faddy new painting method for such a delicate part of my elves?
One coat of thinned Guilleman Flesh (about 50:50 mix with Contrast Medium) was all it took. Done. I was gobsmacked. I have taken an hour and 5 layers before to result in a face nowhere near as smooth. Sonuva bitch….
Well, the old miniature painting adage goes ‘faces & bases’, so next consideration was the foundations upon which these proud folk would stand. I’m not one for going overboard on bases. Every time I stroll in awe through the Warhammer World Exhibition I am struck by how simple the bases tend to be (not including the worrying amount of models these days who include base elements in the sculpt…a bugbear of mine for another post). It looks very odd to me when most models in an army are perched precariously on a chunk of rock or wading knee deep through a pile of skulls. On highlight models this is fine, it makes them stand out, but even then it can be overdone. So if it’s not already clear, I wasn’t going to be sculpting elaborate elven ruins for every base in my army.
Simple but effective bases…but what? The ice cold colours of this painting scheme would certainly go well with wintery bases, but I had done A LOT of those for my multi-based Kings of War (formerly Warhammer Fantasy Battles) dwarfs. I should be doing something new, right?
So, I turned to the battletome. The colour scheme I chose is actually an alternative scheme for the Great Nation of Ymetrica – the white and gold poster-bois for the Lumineth. According to the tome “The Ymetricans…hail from the most mountainous of all the Hyshian nations.” OK, that seals it. I’m going back to my comfort zone of snow and rock. My elves have now been plucked from The Silmarillion and dumped into Narnia.
The base recipe is incredibly simple. I had some Agrellan Badland left over from a small Horus Heresy Iron Warriors army I rush-painted in a weekend for a laugh (you’ve never done that?), so that would be the first step.
- Apply a thick layer of Agrellan Badland. Leave to dry, ideally overnight
- Wash liberally (read: marinate) with Agrax Earthshade and allow to dry
- Mix GW Snow (unfortunately no longer available) with PVA glue and apply in large globs
- Add some clumps of Mordheim Turf (also no longer available…I hope my supplies of this stuff last for this entire army…)
- Paint a black trim around the base (always black; debate over!)
Colour and bases sorted – time to crack on. I had a few fumbles with picking the right sub-assembly for both the spearmen and the archers, which I may get into in a future post, but overall things went smoothly. The only issue I had was time, which for me was limited in February between full-time work, a weekly D&D campaign I run and the only hobby I have equal to wargaming – amateur theatre. Late-February I featured in an online streamed production of The Weir by Conor McPherson for Putney Theatre Company. This took up a whole lotta time so I was genuinely worried about getting my 500pts done before the end of Feb, but on Sunday 28th I painted the last base-trim and the result was, well…take a look.
I have to say I’m chuffed with how these are coming along. The colours appeal to me very much and the army itself allows me to explore the Tolkienian, mythological themes I’ve been enjoying in my reading lately. I CANNOT wait to get these on the tabletop, where I think they should form a pretty sturdy force that can dish out mortal wounds whilst backed up by useful utility spells. The highlight is definitely the Alarith Stonemage (who is looking forward to having a few Alarith Stoneguard joining him in March…) surrounded by the glowing Sanctum of Amyntok. This image, for me, summarises the powerful, mysterious, ethereal feel of what is fast becoming my favourite faction in the Age of Sigmar.